Hello cardinals and welcome to our Good News outlet. We have tons of exciting events, speakers, and awards to tell you all about. It’s officially fall and this school year is in full swing. From September 15th to October 15th, we will be celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month!
- Lots of alumni recently attended the Annual Taste of CICS Event! CICS students were able to connect with alumni who are successful in their careers, helping to show students where their degree may lead them.
- More than 300 alumni and friends attended the inaugural Ball State Plus event, State of Ball State.
- Facing Social Justice in Sports includes stories written by undergraduate students in Dr. Adam J. Kuban’s intermediate Sports Reporting & Writing course.
- Katie Harp hosted the latest SJSC Instagram takeover, where she gave us some great insight into the department.
- Ball State’s esports program was named the “EsportsU Collegiate Community of the Year” by Collegiate Sports Management Group.
- Department of Media student, Hope Stauffer, earned the 2022 Philanthropy Award for promoting philanthropy education across campus and leading philanthropy initiatives beneficial to Ball State University. Our CCIM team is so proud of this accomplishment!
- The McKinley Avenue Agency students were named finalists in Best Display Ad, Best Rate Card/Media Kit, and Best Social Media Strategy for the College Media Association’s 2022 Pinnacle Awards.
- The Ball State Daily News was the only student media outlet featured in Washington Monthly Magazine’s annual College Guide.
- The Ball State Daily News is a finalist for nine Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards and four College Media Association Pinnacle awards. These organizations represent and celebrate the best college media in the nation.
- Ball Bearings Magazine is a finalist for three Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker awards and three College Media Associate Pinnacle awards. These organizations represent and celebrate the best college media in the nation.
- The Unified Media Lab hosted a Constitution Day program on Friday, Sept. 16, 2022. The topic — The Necessity of Local News was moderated by Ball State alumnus Gene Policinski, Freedom Forum Senior Fellow and Ball State alumnus, and featured panelists Oseye Boyd, IndyStar journalist and Ball State alumna; Dr. Phil Hoffman Ball State Public Media; Evan Chandler, Ball State Daily News and Logan Salzbrenner, NewsLink Indiana. The event was a partnership between CCIM and the Office of Inclusive Excellence.
Faculty and Staff
- Dr. Adam Kuban, a professor of Journalism at SJSC, was selected as this year’s LEAP Indiana Paragon Award recipient. This award recognizes professional achievement as a teacher.
- Beth Messner (Communication Studies) and colleagues Kendra Lowery, Kiesha Warren-Gordon, WaTasha Barnes-Griffin, and Robbie Lowery, recently presented their research in social justice activism to the Fall Retreat of Community-Engaged Alliance (formerly Indiana Campus Compact). Their presentation, entitled “Black Hoosiers’ Excellence and Resistance,” detailed the results of a pilot study that involved a multi-day field trip to sites important to Black history in the state of Indiana (funded by Indiana Campus Compact).
- Johnny Sparks, Director of the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication (SJSC), is selected as President Elect of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication (ASJMC) and member of AEJMC Board of Directors
- SJSC faculty Gabriel Tait is selected as a member of Board of Directors for the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) , incoming Chair of AEJMC Professional Freedom & Responsibility Committee and fellow for the 2022-23 class of AEJMC’s Institute for Diverse Leadership in Journalism and Communication (IDL).
- CICS faculty Edward Lazaros received a grant from Governor’s Workforce Cabinet as Principal Investigator for his proposal entitled “Professional Development for Career and Technical Teachers with Workplace Specialist I Certification” in the amount of $135,000.00.
- Stedman Graham is coming to campus on October 19th as the next Letterman speaker.
- The ACE-WIN is proud to present its first Fall Lunch and Learn of 2022! Join us on October 18, from 12-1pm for a session on a “Global Perspective to Leadership”.https://lnkd.in/gZSAAFFa Please register here:
- Dogs and Donuts is back and better than ever! Presented by the College of Communication, Information, and Media and CCIM Living-Learning Community in its home of Botsford-Swinford Hall. Come meet the Dogs of your CCIM Faculty and Staff and have a Concannon’s donut! October 13th from 5:30 to 6:30.
- Ball State PBS will celebrate two monumental milestones – the 80th birthday of America’s favorite art instructor, Bob Ross, and the close of the station’s 50th year on the air. Happy little fest will take place on October 29th from 11-4 p.m.
- The Ball State Daily News is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, and will be celebrating with an alumni and friends dinner during Homecoming Week. Register on their website now!
Our faculty have working on some pretty cool stuff here’s a list of some recent professor publication:
- Katherine Denker, K. J., Knight, K., Carroll*, R. K., Bradley*, K. R., Bonine*, P. J., Lauck*, S. M., Przytulski*, H. S., & Storr, M. L. (In Press). Assessing student mindset, interest, participation, rapport with modality changes: A renewed understanding of the post-pandemic classroom. Accepted to Journal of Communication Pedagogy: Volume 6 (Pedagogy of Renewal).
- Josh Fisher Reyes, Z., & Fisher, J. (2022). The Impacts of Virtual Reality Avatar Creation and Embodiment on Transgender and Genderqueer Individuals in Games. Official refereed conference proceedings of Foundations of Digital Games 2022.
- Edward Lazaros *Nicley, D., Lazaros, E. J., Truell, A. D., Davison, C. B. (2022). Salary compression and inversion at an AACSB accredited college of business. The CTE Journal, 10(1), 65-82. *Anglin, T., Lazaros, E. J., Truell, A. D., Davison, C. B. (2022). Computer support specialist career path exploration. The CTE Journal, 10 (1), 2-7.
- The Ball State Homecoming association is looking for volunteers to help out in various areas such as the parade! For more information email Homecoming parade chair Hannah Shaefer.
- Fall Preview Days are on October 15 and November 5 and we are looking for students and faculty to represent their departments. Email Brea Cunningham if you’d like to represent your unit.
- Muncie Habitat has open volunteer opportunities at their ReStore. Restore proceeds help to fund Muncie Habitat’s work throughout the community, while also offering affordable home supplies for low-income families and keeping things out of landfills, allowing students the opportunity to have a direct impact on our community without lifting a hammer.
- Students can volunteer at ReStore on a walk-in basis Tuesdays-Saturdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Contact Kate Elliott for more details about volunteering with Muncie Community Schools or the 8Twelve Coalition.
- Currently, West View Elementary is looking for student, faculty, and staff volunteers to help in various ways:
- 90-minute reading blocks
- Monitor lunch room (10:40am-1pm)
- Substitute teachers (paid)
- If you are interested in volunteering with Muncie Community Schools, you must be vaccinated, masked, and approved by Safe Hiring Solutions.
- Muncie Missions the faith-based agency that has brought hope and healing to the homeless and needy of Delaware County for over 80 years is currently seeking volunteers in various areas:
- Serving community lunch
- Sorting clothing donations
- Construction – painting, installing fencing, etc.
- Janitorial work
- Detailing vehicles
- For more information contact Muncie Missions at (765) 288-9122 or on their website.
Did You Know
- “Hooserions” was the original mascot. A naming committee chose “Cardinals” due to a coach liking the St. Louis Cardinals’ logo.
What to Watch
Ball State Public Relations presents the 2022 Deleware County Candidate Forum. So whether this is your first time voting or your 20th you’ll get some insight into who the candidates are. This live stream features both local and legislative candidates. So check it out and hear your questions get answered!