It’s that time of year again, the sun sets earlier, the leaves are changing…and midterms are approaching. What better way to destress and relax than dogs and donuts at our Living-Learning Community, Botsford/Swinford?

* * *

A Living Learning Community Experience

Each year we ask our faculty, students, and community to come on campus with their dogs to share the love. There are many studies to support that dogs have a great impact on our mental and physical health. There has even been evidence to support that living with a dog can improve one’s cardiovascular health and lower cholesterol. Kevin Graham (’25) said, “I’ve seen a lot of science that says that dogs lower your blood pressure, and I believe it. When I’m in the presence of dogs, I really enjoy it!”

We can also learn from our furry friends. As tests start to pop up and project deadlines approach it is important to be mindful. According to an article by Harvard Medical School, “Perhaps one of the greatest psychological benefits of interacting with a dog is the opportunity it provides to be more mindful — to purposely focus your attention on the present moment.” Leah Wurtzel (’22) took that advice by “coming to dogs and donuts to take my mind off the stressors of class.”

Living Learning Communities

Each Living-Learning Community provides a multitude of opportunities such as community events and the ability to develop networks with fellow classmates & faculty. The Living-Learning Communities and academic peer mentors are a great resource for students to ensure academic success. Our Living-Learning Communities are like a home away from home, Ja’Nai Williams (’24) said, “I decided to come because I’m a huge dog person and I’m a little far away from my dog…hopefully he doesn’t get too mad at me.”