Hello everyone and welcome to our monthly “Good News” outlet.
- Congratulations to our Winter graduates!
- The Indiana Broadcasters Foundation announced ten recipients of its 2020 scholarship program – awarding $50,000 total to students who attend colleges and universities across the state. Two of them are CCIM students: Blake Chapman (Journalism) and Seena Greiwe (TCOM/Sports Link).
- Ball State’s Cinema Entertainment Immersion: Over 50 Ball State students from the departments of Telecommunications, English, and Theatre & Dance collaborated to write, produce, and star in 6 short films. You can watch their creations below.
- The Department of Journalism recognized a group of alumni who are making outstanding contribution to their field. Please see “CCIM units” section.
- CICS grad Karen Mangia’s book Work from Home: Making the New Normal Work for You is featured on New York Post – Best Books for Holiday Reading on Career-improvement
- La Leyenda Negra, a film co-produced by TCOM grad Alicia Herder was acquired by HBO. It premiered on HBO Latino on December 4 and is now available to stream on HBO Max. The film was also an official selection at the Sundance Festival earlier this year.
- CICS started a new partnership with AOTMP, an an association dedicated to serving all Telecom, Mobility, and IT management professionals. An article on CICS was published in this month’s edition of the AOTMP® Insights magazine.
- The Department of Journalism launched its new alumni magazine called Flock, and podcast named Birds of a Feather
- BSU SportsLink was featured in this article about gaining experience in sportscasting published in the Republic.
- Construction work has started to turn RB 134 into the new Esports home. Expected completion date is April 2021.
- The Department of Journalism hosted a virtual ceremony for its annual award event. Continuing on a legacy that started 60 years ago, they recognized a group of journalism professionals and alumni who are making outstanding contribution to the field of communications. The 2020 honorees were:
- National Writing Award – Mark Johnson
- Indiana Journalism Award – Steve Key
- Marilyn Weaver Award – Ryan Gunterman
- Anton Majeri Award – Suzette Moyer
- Joseph Costa Award – Tom Fox
- Young Alumna Award – Becky Rother
- Young Alumnus Award – Jacob Lane
- Outstanding Journalism Alumna Award – Sonja Popp-Stahly
- Hall of Fame Inductee – Kathy Barks Hoffman
- Hall of Fame Inductee – Jason Whitlock
Faculty and Staff
- CICS Dennis Trinkle presented a seminar on Design Thinking to the students participating in Nextech Navigate.
- TCOM Chris Taylor was a speaker at Sports Video Summit. Chris talked about college sports in several panel sessions.
- CICS Anna Stumpf was the keynote speaker at the Women in Business Unlimited Virtual Luncheon. Anna helped participants find more purpose in their job or side hustle and pursue their hobbies more intentionally.
- TCOM faculty Dom Caristi discussed TV signal delivery with KXEL radio host.
- CICS Chris Davison was interviewed on Fox 59 to talk about the software he created to monitor and alert people of COVID-19 safety issues.