11 Telecommunication alumna Reba Chenoweth began her journey at Ball State after finishing her undergrad at Butler University. Her time in the Digital Storytelling Master’s Program equipped her with more experience before heading into the workforce. She now works as an Executive Producer at Fox 45 News in Dayton, Ohio where she won an Emmy for her work.

Writer: Ashley Curry, Department of Journalism Student • Interviewer: Christopher Zurisk, Telecommunications Student • Video: Ball State UMS

_______________________________________________________

What kind of student were you at Ball State?

I’d like to think I was studious. I tried to be open to all the different opportunities offered, and to take advantage of as many of them as I could. 

On campus, what was one of your favorite places?

I spent a lot of time in Bracken. I know a lot of students probably don’t have fond memories of being stuck in the library, but I do. It was directly across the street from the TCOM building. Since I met my husband here, we spent a lot of time studying side by side. 

What was your favorite memory at Ball State?

When I met my husband. We met at the Christian Campus House. It was a pasta dinner night. He didn’t actually think he was going to come in. He was hesitant, but he did. I knew the moment I saw him I was going to marry him. I kept giving him more pasta so he would stay and talk more!

What professors at Ball State had an impact on you?

All the professors have a lot to offer to their students. I worked closely with Suzy Smith and Terry Heifetz.They both have a strong background in news-the industry that I wanted to enter-so they were able to give me so much invaluable advice. They also had connections that helped me secure an internship and a job in the field that I wanted.

How did the grad program equip you for your professional career?

The best part about the grad program was that we focused on long form storytelling. In News, you have short stories that you tell, but now the industry is moving, especially with online, where you are adding extra content. You are adding different elements to a story both on air and online. The grad program really did a great job of showing me different ways to tell stories. 

If you could go back, what advice would you give your freshman self?

Not to be afraid to look into different programs or activities outside of news. The industry is moving to be multidisciplinary. You really need to have experience digitally as well as using equipment and learning radio. I did a little bit of that, but I would say to get even more immersed in it. Do as much as you can while you are here.

_______________

Want to share your story? Feel free to submit it using our story submission form.