Where is your hometown?

I’m from just north of Indy.

Where did you obtain your bachelor’s, and what were your major(s)?

I went to Indiana University and majored in psychology.

What first interested you in counseling?

I’ve always wanted to work with kids, and I love learning about human behavior and why we do the things we do. Counseling was a perfect way to combine the two!

Why did you choose Ball State?

I chose Ball State because they have the dual program for social psychology and clinical mental health counseling. My research interests are more aligned with social psychology but my future career interests are in counseling. I love that I can continue to focus on both while at Ball State. I also value the focus on diversity and how its integrated into all aspects of the program.

What do you think of your experience at Ball State as a MA student so far?

There’s nothing like starting grad school in the middle of a pandemic, but I’m so grateful for the friendships I’ve made, and the professors I’ve been able to work with. It was hard in the beginning not knowing how the pandemic would impact classes, but my professors have been incredibly gracious in acknowledging how hard it’s been for students and being flexible with us. Although I still dream of the day we can be in class sitting next to each other without masks.

What are your research interests?

My research interests are mainly related to stereotypes and discrimination, specifically with children and how stereotypes are learned and how discrimination is acted out in those earlier years. I’ve been working in Dr. Kelsey Thiem’s research lab and love getting more experience in research for stereotypes and prejudice.

What are your future plans and career goals?

I hope to continue on to a PhD program in counseling psychology and later open a private practice working with children and adolescents.

What are a few of your favorite hobbies?

I absolutely love puzzles. On breaks, I just spend my days working on puzzles and if I could make a career out of it, I would. But I also enjoy running, cooking, and singing along to my favorite songs (but other people probably wouldn’t enjoy my singing).

What are you looking forward to most this semester?

I’m excited for the days to be longer and for the green to come back on all the trees! I love the snow but not so much bare, brown trees that come with it.

If you could be friends with any fictional character, who would it be?

From TV: Kevin Cozner, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”

From a book: Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter series

Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it?

I’m not much of a quotes person, I usually just find myself re-reading phrases in books that resonate with me, but the one quote I love so much its hanging on my wall is from Hillary Clinton’s concession speech, “Never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world”

How do you practice self-care?

Self-care looks different depending on what I need. Usually, its leaning into everyday joys like running and dancing to music when I cook. But it’s also making time for friends and talking to family because in the age of COVID, it’s too easy to get into the habit of not being social. Mostly self-care is checking in with myself and making sure I’ve done something for me that day.

Follow Us