Dr. and Mrs. Harry J. Macy,

Hello, my name is Marla Summers and I am a second time recipient of the Harry J. and Delpha S. Macy Scholarship. I am a fifth year BSW and Psychological Science double major with a double minor in Interpersonal Relations and Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution. Since the last time you heard from me, I have spent some time as an employee at Meridian Health Services, as an intern at the Ball State Center for Peace and Conflict Studies, and as a research assistant through Ball State at both the Youth Opportunity Center and the Personality and Psychopathology Lab. Needless to say, I have been quite busy the past couple of years.

While I have been blessed by opportunities during my fifth year of my undergraduate studies, my four-year scholarships have long expired. In receiving your generous scholarship, I am able to continue on into my summer social work practicum without excessive financial burden. I have already been accepted into Ball State’s MSW program in the fall, where I hope to continue my growth as both a student of social work and a future practitioner. I am particularly interested in the growing field of substance use and addictions and am excited to gain a greater understanding of the needs of this population in the coming year as I engage with research, faculty, and my peers with the goal of becoming an LCSW and a licensed addiction counselor.

Though I have certainly worked hard the past five years, my academic success would not be possible without the continued support of family, friends, mentors, faculty, and you. It is with gratitude that I include you on this list and recognize how much your support of my education means to me. I am honored to be a recipient of this year’s award and I do not take that responsibility lightly. I will continue to strive for excellence both in academia and in the field, knowing that I have been blessed with an education that enables me to make a difference in this world. Thank you for your investment in this future.

Follow Us